A. In America there is a 60% Divorce rate
B. In Dallas, Texas there is a 103% Divorce rate
1. 103 divorces for every 100 marriages.
C. God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16)
D. There are many terrible marriages/homes.
E. A good marriage is the closest thing there is to Heaven on earth, and a bad marriage is the closest thing there is to Hell on earth
2. Basics About A Godly Home.
A. God must be first in your life (Luke 14:26)
1. A "Christian home" requires christians.
B. The marriage must be the priority relationship of the parents. (Genesis 2:24)
1. God put a man and wife in the garden, not a parent and child.
2. Leave father and mother.
a. Don't build your life around the kids.
b. Let go when they marry. Don't interfere!
c. Go to mate, not parents for encouragement, direction, and support (financial, etc.)
d. Parents become counselor s/advisors
3. The Woman In The Godly Home:
A. Her basic design was to be a helper to her husband (Genesis 2:18)
B. God protected her with a structure of authority (1 Corinthians 11:3)
C. Submission is a great responsibility (Ephesians 5:22-24)
1. Genesis 3:16; 4:7 "Thy desire shall be to thy husband and he shall rule over thee..."
2. Submission depends on authority, not character.
3. Submission is only needed when there is a difference of opinion or judgment.
a. When God says so, it doesn't matter what the authority says.
b. When we agree authority doesn't matter.
4. Biblical submission is voluntary.
a. Military term indicating to enlist in the army (as opposed to being drafted).
b. You voluntarily place yourself under the authority of military officers over you.
5. His abuse of authority doesn't excuse your refusal to submit.
6. If he isn't a Christian (1 Peter 3:1-4)
D. Her purpose is also to bear children & "guide" the house (1 Timothy 5:14)
1. She must be a teacher of good things to her daughters (Titus 2:3-5) and sons (2 Timothy 1:5)
4. The Man In The Godly Home:
A. Authority means responsibility and accountability.
1. Dwell with her according to knowledge (1 Peter 3:7)
a. Knowledge of her willful submission.
b. She has voluntarily become the "weaker vessel" in authority.
c. This directly affects your relationship with God "that your prayers be not hindered".
2. Man's "headship" is by virtue of God's authority, not mental, physical or emotional superiority.
a. This makes him accountable to God for the home he is head over.
b. Her refusal to submit never justifies his abuse of authority.
c. God holds her accountable to submit, & you accountable for the godly headship.
3. Love is your responsibility (Ephesians 5:25-32)
a. Do you love enough to die for? Do you love enough to live (i.e. take out trash) for?
b. Christ lived for the church (Romans 5:10)
4. The head must be the provider. (Ephesians 5:28,29)
a. To nourish & Cherish means to tenderly care for, to provide for the needs of.
b. We do that for our own bodies, nursing them back to health when injured, feeding them when hungry, etc.
c. You must be as concerned about meeting your wife's needs as you are your own.
d. Worse than an infidel (1 Timothy 5:8)
1. Unbelievers are called fools (Psalms 14:1) who will go to hell (Revelation 21:8)
5. The Child In The Godly Home: (Ephesians 6:1-3)
A. Rebellion a sin, not a stage.
B. "In the Lord"
C. Honor your parents.
D. Choose a mate carefully - 1 Corinthians 7:39